[CentOS] CentOS Stream suitability as a production webserver

Fri Jan 8 09:01:55 UTC 2021
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

On 05/01/2021 20:32, Jamie Burchell wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've recently discovered the announcement regarding the change in direction
> for the CentOS project and I imagine like many others, I'm confused and
> concerned about what this means moving forward.

<snip>

> Given we are not developing drivers or applications (other than websites
> and web applications), is the change a non-issue for my use-case? I've seen
> it written that CentOS Stream is the "development version" of RHEL but also
> that we shouldn't have considered RHEL to be the beta for CentOS. Others
> have said to think of CentOS more like RHEL RC-1. I just don't know how the
> stability will compare and we have historically always chosen CentOS for
> its stability (and of course price).

<snip>

Well, let me just quickly chime in this thread ...
If you have already automated things (or not btw) for CentOS 8, current
Stream (8-stream) will continue to just work.

For CentOS Infra, I started to deploy Stream nodes and it continues to
work fine.

Fun fact : new coming Stream buildsystem infra *is* build exclusively on
top of CentOS Stream ... hopefully that would give people confidence
about platform (dog fooding) :)

Will there be some changes suddenly happening faster than in usual
major.minor releases lifecyles ? yes

Will it differ really ? well, it's what coming in the same major.minor
version that people *are* waiting for ..

Is it perfect *now* ? probably not, but there is a chance to look at it
and it's up to (and not tied to Stream vs Linux effect imho)
sysadmin/devops engineers/$pick-your-title-here in charge of infra to
have validation platform before rolling out versions/updates/etc ...
(nothing *should* change here, except if one still manage single box
like in the 90's) ;-)

With my SysAdmin hat on, I'd say that the only real impacting bit is the
shorter lifetime (5y instead of 10), but with overlap between stream
versions, so one would have time to have a look, reflect in automation,
reinstall/migrate, enjoy

Just my 0.02$ here
--
Fabian Arrotin