[CentOS] Reboot/shutdown without login

Mon Jan 11 18:39:06 UTC 2021
Mark Woolfson <mrw at mwcltd.co.uk>

Hello,

I had this problem on a Dell T7600 running CentOS 7.6 and 8.2.

The Dell does not have an embedded GPU so a PCIe one is used, typically
Nvidia.

The standard CentOS Nvidia driver does not work on a Dell T7***.

You need to apply the Nvidia driver from their web site.

Below are the detailed instructions for CentOS 7.6

Installation of Dell T7600 CentOS 7.6 Nvidia GPU Driver

Make sure that the Dell T7600 is attached to a network.

Install OS if required:	Boot USB CentOS 7.6 distribution
			Use arrow keys to position to 'Install CentOS 7'
			Enter <Tab>
			Use arrow keys to insert at the end of boot command
line:  <space>nouveau.modeset=0<cr>
			Build CentOS 7.6 making sure that the network is
enabled during the configuration phase
			Reboot making sure that the USB CentOS 7.6
distribution is removed

Common procedure:	At CentOS boot prompt enter <e>
			Use arrow keys to insert at end of line starting
'linux16':  <space>nouveau.modeset=0
			Enter <Ctrl+X>
			Log in, start a terminal window and become superuser
			Enter:  yum -y update
kernel-3.10.0-1160.11.1.el7.x86_64
			Enter:  cd /etc/default then edit the file grub
			Change:  GRUB_DEFAULT=0
			Append to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX before last ":
<space>nouveau.modeset=0
			Enter:  grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
			Enter:  grub2-mkconfig -o
/boot/efi/EFI/centos/grub.cfg
			Enter Browser and go to:
www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
			Download Nvidia Legacy Driver 390.138 and save
*
			Reboot making sure the 1160.11 kernel is selected
			Log in, start a terminal window and become superuser
			Enter:  yum -y groupinstall "Development Tools"
			Enter:  yum -y install kernel-devel epel-release
			Enter:  systemctl isolate multi-user.target
			Log in and become superuser
			Change directory to where the Nvidia driver was
saved				*
			Enter:  sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-* and answer
Yes/Overwrite to everything
			Reboot making sure that the 1160.11 kernel is
selected
			The procedure is now complete
			To check the driver is installed correctly:  Log in,
start a terminal window and become superuser
			Enter:  lshw - numeric -C display
			The configuration line should have:  driver=nvidia
			nvidia-settings can now be used to change display
settings

Regards,
Mark Woolfson