[CentOS] Reboot/shutdown without login

Mon Jan 11 19:24:47 UTC 2021
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 at 14:14, Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:

> On 1/11/2021 10:32 AM, Frank Cox wrote:
> > How do you want the person to shut it down without logging in?  Some
> computers have a "smart" power switch pushbutton that you can program to do
> a shutdown or a reboot depending on how long you hold the button down.
> Otherwise you'll need at least a keyboard, or possibly something like a
> joystick or a mouse button?
>
> Keyboard. i don't have a mouse hooked up since it's currently running
> without a GUI.
>
> I wasn't sure if the power switch on the R720xd is monitored that way so
> that hitting the front panel button would shut the system down or maybe
> bring up the DRAC screen.

The simplest would be to have a person plug in a keyboard and do a three
finger salute (CNTRL-ALT-DEL) on the system. Doing it once should trigger a
shutdown and reboot. [That said. I have seen some systems ignore it and
others do an immediate power cycle so please test.]

When the hardware is booted, the DRAC screen can only be brought up on the
network.