[CentOS] LTS

Tue Jan 12 12:55:36 UTC 2021
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 at 01:32, Thomas Stephen Lee <lee.iitb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> CentOS Linux can continue as Fedora LTS or something similar with a
> five-year life cycle. After five years, users can opt for paid upgrades.
> We can also work with System manufacturers to pre-install the free LTS on
> their products, which will increase our user base.

1. There is no Fedora LTS and there are no plans for one. Many of the
developers who do the work in Fedora but do not work for Red Hat are not
interested in the project doing any sort of LTS work. Getting EPEL work is
a slog already there.
2. Both Fedora and CentOS are Red Hat 'sponsored' projects where Red Hat
owns the trademarks and legally owns the output of the projects. Use of
said trademarks for any product needs approval of Red Hat within specific
guidelines. If Red Hat is not interested in continued CentOS, then I do not
see any reason it would be interested in Fedora LTS.
3. "We can also work with.." requires legal agreements which needs Red Hat
lawyers to sign. There are a lot of legal items which have to be reviewed
and a lot of liability negotiations which have to be done.
4. Getting System manufacturers to pre-install is a multi year work. The
getting Fedora onto Lenovo started in the early 2010's and only got done in
2020. Each company that does this has multiple internal groups who are
advocating THEIR favourite Linux to be the one which usually means there is
all kinds of internal system manufacturer social negotiations going on. The
agreements also are usually tightly reigned in by the manufacturer so that
getting an LTS (if it existed) onto this hardware would be a multi-year
work to do starting from when you had a working LTS.

That said, the items above are all true if you remove Fedora from the
equation. Rocky Linux/Navy Linux/RedHawk Linux/Cloud Linux could all be the
places for that to happen.