[CentOS] RHEL changes

Thu Jan 21 20:24:17 UTC 2021
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 13:57:19 -0600
Scott Techlist wrote:

> So this will muddy the waters for the spin-offs like Rocky Linux, or kill
> them?  I'd assume at least it would dilute who'd need an alternate Centos
> replacement except those with more than 16 servers.  Or did I misunderstand
> the announcement?

I don't see how this would create any issues for Rocky Linux and the like.  The new RHEL terms still require annual license activations (for every installation I think) and that's a point of friction that doesn't exist with Linux installations that are actually free.

With this new offering I've got to count my installations, track which ones I've torn down, which ones I've updated, which ones I've scrapped, which ones I'm running in a VM and which ones that I've installed on an "appliance" in the dusty corner to running a printing press, and when I get to the sixteenth installation then I need to pay up or start decommissioning stuff....

Or I could use a license-not-required distribution like Rocky or Oracle and avoid all of that.

I've got a number of machines with certain clients who bring their machine back to me every year or two (or whenever they figure they can spare it and happen to be heading this way) for updating.  I might not see one of those machines for a few years; they may not have any Internet connection in the field so it could be interesting if the machines tell them (or me) to buzz off because the license has expired.

If there were no other options then I guess there would have to be a way figured out to make this work anyway, but there are options and those options are certainly more attractive than dealing with license activations and all of the joy surrounding that sort of thing.