[CentOS] RHEL changes

Fri Jan 22 16:46:12 UTC 2021
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 16:15:28 +0100
Simon Matter wrote:

> OL specific stuff like UEK

Here might be a good place to ask a question that I haven't really found a definitive answer to.

What, exactly, is the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel?

RHEL/Centos 8 has kernel version 4.18.  The current Fedora kernel is 5.8.  The current kernel listed on the main page of kernel.org is 5.10.

Where does UEK 5.14.x fit in here?  Is it a fixed/enhanced/customized version of the current kernel on kernel.org, is it something to do with Fedora, or is it something entirely different and unrelated that runs on Oracle's own versioning scheme?

And on that note, what does UEK do for you that the standard RHEL kernel doesn't?   Would the average schmoe like me actually gain anything by running UEK over the standard Redhat kernel if I'm not running stuff like the Oracle database?