[CentOS] Samba setup

Thu Jan 28 05:56:49 UTC 2021
Robert G. (Doc) Savage <dsavage at peaknet.net>

On Tue, 2021-01-19 at 17:18 +0100, Götz Reinicke wrote:

> Anything in the samba logs? May be SELinux/Firewall issues?

Götz,

Unfortunately, no.

The nmbd log verifies that the fileserver's samba service is the local
master browser for WORKGROUP on both eth0 and virbr0.

   [2021/01/17 19:02:22.190795, 0]
   ../../source3/nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:397(become_local_master_stage2)
   *****
   Samba name server LIONSTORE is now a local master browser for workgroup
   WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.1.20
   *****

   [2021/01/17 19:02:22.191085, 0]
   ../../source3/nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:397(become_local_master_stage2)
   *****
   Samba name server LIONSTORE is now a local master browser for workgroup
   WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.122.1
   *****

The samba smbd log simply reports the connection denials:

   [2021/01/17 23:07:40.304626, 0]
   ../../lib/util/access.c:371(allow_access)
   Denied connection from 192.168.1.30 (192.168.1.30

There's nothing in the SELinux logs for that date.

I checked firewall-config on the storage server and verified that the
samba service is allowed (but not samba-client or samba-dc).

Is there a really comprehensive setup checklist available for setting
up samba on CentOS? The partial how-tos I've been able to find are
obviously not enough. I'm looking for completer smb.conf setup,
firewall settings, required services, directory permissions, accounts,
and anything else that's required. I'm running up against very
unhelpful roadblocks that seem to indicate a critical permissions
problem but nothing specific.

V/R
--Doc Savage
    Fairview Heights, IL