[CentOS] OPIE w/ OpenSSH Account Enumeration The remote host is susceptible to an information disclosure attack.

Thu Jan 28 17:04:08 UTC 2021
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 at 11:40, Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running the openssh-server-7.4p1-21.el7.x86_64 on CentOS Linux release
> 7.9.2009 (Core).
>
> #cat /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS Linux release 7.9.2009 (Core)
> # rpm -qa |grep ssh
> openssh-server-7.4p1-21.el7.x86_64
> libssh2-1.8.0-4.el7.x86_64
> openssh-7.4p1-21.el7.x86_64
> openssh-clients-7.4p1-21.el7.x86_64
>
> While invoking the Vulnerability Assessment and Penetration Testing (VAPT)
> scan, we are encountering the below vulnerability.
>
> OPIE w/ OpenSSH Account Enumeration The remote host is susceptible to an
> > information disclosure attack. CVE-2007-2768 A patch currently does not
> > exist for this issue. As a workaround, ensure that OPIE for PAM is not
> > installed.
> > Version source    : SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_7.4
> > Installed version : 7.4
> > https://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2007/Apr/634
>

> Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks in Advance. Please let me know
> if you need any additional information.

This vulnerability is a 'useless' one to test against unless you are either
going to 'exploit' OPIE to confirm it is installed or have local access to
the system to check. For the systems which show up like this you will need
to see if OPIE has been installed on the systems.  OPIE is not shipped with
CentOS as far as I know but it could be installed aftermarket.

if it was done with rpms'
rpm -qa | grep -i opie

otherwise you will need to look in /etc/pam.d

grep -i open /etc/pam.d/*

If it is installed, then this isn't a CentOS issue as OPIE is not shipped
but would be whoever added this to the systems problem.