[CentOS] Intel/64 CentOS VM running on a Mac M1?

Fri Jan 29 09:05:31 UTC 2021
Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de>

> Am 29.01.2021 um 02:11 schrieb Lists <lists at benjamindsmith.com>:
>
> My Dell Precision M3800 running Fedora works great but is really starting to
> show its age, and I'm thinking about getting a new Mac M1-based laptop as it
> would really be useful for Video production.
>
> But I really need to have a IA64 CentOS 7/8 VMs running locally for
> development as I'm often on the road and flaky Internet makes it a necessity to
> keep productivity up. I've been unable to officially confirm that VMWare/
> Parallels/VirtualBox intend to support IA64 based OS's and it *needs* to be an
> exact (VM) copy of production so I can trial environments and builds prior to
> roll out.
>
> Calling around, I actually got ahold of a sales staff at Parallels who assured
> me (in broken India-accent English) that "of course all OS will supported when
> the trial complete" but given that I wasn't sure that he really understood my
> question I remain uncertain.

If you need Intel VMs, there’s no way around Intel hardware at the moment. Especially, if performance matters.

I would wait until 11th generation Intel CPUs or even better AMD Ryzen are available for Dell’s mobile workstation-line (if you want to stay in that product-line, which is not the worst thing to do).

Apple’s M1 are (probably) great - but only if you want to run macOS on it. Anything else and the compromises will likely be even more severe than those that had to be made in the earliest days of running Linux on a laptop.

Personally, I would also consider the Lenovo E15 (AMD Ryzen), it mostly seems to work with Ubuntu, which means you would likely have to use Fedora for the time being.