[CentOS] Microsoft Teams on CentOS 7. Does the latest version work?

Fri Jul 16 12:04:53 UTC 2021
Leon Fauster <leonfauster at googlemail.com>

On 16.07.21 13:28, Simon Matter wrote:

>>> And that's where it breaks the rules! It "provides" something that it
>>> doesn't really provide. That's NOT allowed with RPM because it breaks
>>> other applications. It breaks the whole meaning of dependency tracking
>>> of
>>> the RPM system. That's why the mentioned chrome package has to be
>>> considered broken.
>>>

>> $ LANG=C rpm -qp --provides
>> https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm
>> warning:
>> https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm:
>> Header V4 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 7fac5991: NOKEY
>> google-chrome = 91.0.4472.164
>> google-chrome-stable = 91.0.4472.164-1
>> google-chrome-stable(x86-64) = 91.0.4472.164-1
>> $
>>

> Hi Leon,
>
> The problem package is not from google but seems to be
> 'chrome-deps-stable' from wherever it comes.

<snip>

> That's why teams fails here, Microsoft is NOT the culprit in this case :-)

Well, I see a lot of such customer/user behavior: "Doing _everything_
just to get to the goal". For example installing things that just do
not fit and then wondering about the implications. Imagine a bakery
that uses blue wall colour instead blueberrys. Just to get the cup cakes
with a blue touch.

Actually it is a naturally approach to getting things to work. So,
not sure whom to blame. For the OP: as someone has already suggested,
flatpaks do provide a coherent environment to execute proprietary
software. Not sure how mature flatpak is under C7 but teams works
here under C8/flatpak well. Alternatively a teams session do also
work with the chromium browser directly.

https://flatpak.org/setup/CentOS/
https://flathub.org/apps/search/teams

BTW: @OP Maybe its time to clean up your repository setup and the above
mentioned obscure package ...