[CentOS] Centos versions in the future?

Wed Jul 7 12:13:45 UTC 2021
Gionatan Danti <g.danti at assyoma.it>

Il 2021-07-07 11:44 Nikolaos Milas ha scritto:
> I re-visit this thread, since it is crucial for CentOS 8 users.
>
> RESF / Rocky Linux is gaining worldwide recognition and sets itself as
> the primary organization / platform to become the CentOS 8 heir /
> successor in the future.
>
> Google and Microsoft become RESF sponsors/partners:
>
>    https://rockylinux.org/news/community-update-june-2021/
>
> And so IBM/RH lose the tremendous advantage they had by owning the
> CentOS project, which - it seems - never evaluated correctly.
>
> From now on, it is clear that hundreds of thousands of CentOS
> installations will be migrating to Rocky Linux.
>
> I also wish the best of success to CentOS Stream, but this is not what
> the CentOS community expected.

Yeah, I share this view.

As a side note, I evaluated Oracle Linux because it has working secure
boot, but I am somewhat afraid of using it (due to corporate practices).
This probably is an irrational feeling (after all, I do not exclusively
use MariaDB, but MySQL also), but I prefer to stay on the safe side.

Anyway, I strongly feel that IBM/RH miscalculated the move.
Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico