[CentOS] Centos versions in the future?

Wed Jul 7 12:35:07 UTC 2021
Scott Robbins <scottro11 at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jul 07, 2021 at 02:18:58PM +0200, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> Le 07/07/2021 à 11:44, Nikolaos Milas a écrit :
> > RESF / Rocky Linux is gaining worldwide recognition and sets itself as the
> > primary organization / platform to become the CentOS 8 heir / successor in the
> > future.
>
> Rocky Linux is the New Kid On The Block and gets all the attention.
>
> Whereas Oracle Linux (the best RHEL clone in terms of maintenance reactivity)
> has been around since 2006, free as in beer since 2012, and nobody wants to
> touch it.
>
> Go figure.

It's simply that Oracle has such a bad reputation in dealing with Open
source. Many people doubt them, and doubt that they won't change things in
the future if they think they have a good chance at making money from it.

I think that right now, many are either going to use Rocky or Alma.
I suspect that over time, one of them, will be far more used than the
other, and become the next CentOS, in the sense that while there were a few
RH clones, almost everyone chose CentOS.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6