[CentOS] Centos versions in the future?

Thu Jul 8 20:06:23 UTC 2021
Nikolaos Milas <nmilas at noa.gr>

On 8/7/2021 8:53 μ.μ., Gionatan Danti wrote:

> That said, lets face in: current CentOS is not really a community, at
> least in the sense that a community can steer the project direction.
> Nobody polled for Stream or asked about it. Stream simply happened due
> to an unilateral Red Hat decision. *Which is PERFECTLY fine*, unless
> trying to masking it behind the "community" word.
>
> My view is that RH/CentOS would be relatively inadequate for many
> roles without the outstanding work done by EPEL and the rest of the
> CentOS community, unless you are an hyperscaler who can do its own
> internal package additions. Red Hat failing to recognize the enormous
> value of EPEL and former CentOS model really baffles me.

Exactly so.

So, this enormous and invaluable effort should not be wasted and
abandoned, but should continue and thrive within full community-driven
projects like Rocky Linux.

This is what I mean by community effort. CentOS is no more a
community-driven project, but others emerge. Yet, currently the only one
with true community characteristics is probably Rocky Linux.

Cheers,
Nick