[CentOS] Centos versions in the future?

Fri Jul 9 11:57:13 UTC 2021
Nikolaos Milas <nmilas at noa.gr>

On 9/7/2021 1:14 μ.μ., Gionatan Danti wrote:

> While I fully understand & agree on the motivation for keeping Rocky
> (and other clones) 1:1 with Red Hat, it should be understood that
> current RHEL packages selection itself is drifting away from
> small/medium business needs. So the core issue is a more fundamental
> one: Red Hat, our upstream, is walking away from traditional server
> needs.

IMHO, this is a more fundamental discussion, which is beyond future
CentOS versions and alternative RHEL-compatible projects and it deserves
a separate thread.

In any case, I think that the existence and continuous availability /
maintenance of external RHEL / CentOS-compatible repositories probably
provides a solution for most use scenarios. Of course, I cannot possibly
know all actual needs, so I may be wrong.

I need to recognize the fact that it appears there is still a shortage
of packages for CentOS 8, even though it is active for quite long
already. Maybe this is mainly due to EPEL difficulties.

Nick