[CentOS] Microsoft Teams on CentOS 7. Does the latest version work?

Fri Jul 16 10:30:51 UTC 2021
Peter <peter at pajamian.dhs.org>

On 16/07/21 10:19 pm, Simon Matter wrote:
>> I think you missed from a different post where the package was created
>> by a different 3rd-party, not google.  So how else would you expect the
>> 3rd-party package to satisfy the dependency?
>
> I didn't say the chrome packages came from google. But, the TO has some
> chrome RPM installed which "provides" the libstdc++ version required by
> teams, but doesn't really provide this libstdc++ version to the whole
> system. That's why the RPM is broken, it claims to provide a libstdc++
> version which it doesn't really provide.

And I ask again, how else would you expect the package to satisfy the
dependency in chrome for the newer libstdc++?  The package was
explicitly created to allow chrome to run on an older system that
doesn't have the newer libstdc++, by rights it should work with other
programs that need a newer libstdc++ as well provided that they set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH appropriately.  So it does, in fact, provide the stated
dependency for the entire system, you just have to tell programs that
need it where to find it.

> It may have worked before because older teams required a libstdc++ version
> which is available on CentOS 7.

Correct.

> The broken chrome packages are the reason why RPM allowed the new teams
> version being installed.

Again, they are not broken, they are suitable for the systems they were
built for, which would be current Fedora systems (which happen to have a
newer libstdc++).

> But because the chrome package doesn't really
> provide to the systems what it claims,

You're confusing here.  I assume you mean the package that provides the
libstdc++ dependency which happens to have chrome in it's name but is
not actually chrome and does not come from google or chrome.

> teams won't work an is in a broken state.

teams should work if LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set appropriately.

Peter