[CentOS] Microsoft Teams on CentOS 7. Does the latest version work?

Fri Jul 16 12:26:15 UTC 2021
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

> On 16/07/21 10:39 pm, Simon Matter wrote:
>>> And I ask again, how else would you expect the package to satisfy the
>>> dependency in chrome for the newer libstdc++?
>
> And yet you still have not answered this question.

Simple answer: you can NOT without breaking RPMs dependency system.

>> And that's where it breaks the rules! It "provides" something that it
>> doesn't really provide. That's NOT allowed with RPM because it breaks
>> other applications. It breaks the whole meaning of dependency tracking
>> of
>> the RPM system. That's why the mentioned chrome package has to be
>> considered broken.
>
> It is not broken, it does exactly what it intends to do.  It needs to
> provide the dependency in order to allow chrome to be installed, and
> with the usage of the correct LD_LIBRARY_PATH it allows chrome to run on
> the system where otherwise it would not.
>
> Yes, it violates the Fedora packaging guidelines, it's a good thing it's
> not a Fedora package, then.  Also please note the very first sentence on
> the main page of the guidelines:
>
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/
>
> "The Packaging Guidelines are a collection of common issues and the
> severity that should be placed on them. While these guidelines should
> not be ignored, they should also not be blindly followed."

It has nothing directly to do with Fedora but with RPM - and the Fedora
folks have rules not to break RPM. For more info see

https://rpm.org/user_doc/dependency_generators.html

> Sometimes you have to break some rules to get things to work.  In this
> particular case the results are worth it for a great many people.

If you break it, then don't wonder why your system doesn't work as
expected. If you break RPMs dependency system by installing broken
packages, you get a broken system.

Simon