[CentOS] Difference between CentOS Linux and CentOS Stream

Mon Jul 19 16:16:46 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 09:31:30PM +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> I am confused between CentOS Linux and CentOS Stream as per
> https://www.centos.org/download/. Please guide me on which one I need to
> use in the production environment. Is there a difference between CentOS
> Linux and CentOS Stream?
>
> Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.

I think a lot of good answers can be found here:

https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/faq-centos-stream-updates

So, the short answer is that CentOS 8 goes end of life at the end of
December, 2021.  So it is fine for production use until that point.

However, CentOS 8 Stream should be fine for most uses.  My only
concern will be for people who use 3rd-party kernel module
repositories like ELRepo.org for support of their hardware (such as
RAID drivers).  ELrepo doesn't plan on building a kmod for the kernels
in CentOS Stream, so it would be a painful transition from 8 to
8-stream.  But if you aren't using any 3rd-party kernel modules, you
should be fine.

The Kmod SIG plans to try to build GPL'd kmods for CentOS Stream
kernels, but we're just starting up now.