[CentOS] Help with default shell

Thu Jun 24 10:22:15 UTC 2021
Hooton, Gerard <g.hooton at ucc.ie>

Thanks Stephen,
Where will I find the attribute mapping?
Today I only have remote access via ssh and RDP.

---Original Message-----
From: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com<mailto:Stephen%20John%20Smoogen%20%3csmooge at gmail.com%3e>>
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Help with default shell
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 05:53:44 -0400

[EXTERNAL] This email was sent from outside of UCC.

On Wed, 23 Jun 2021 at 09:13, Hooton, Gerard <

<mailto:g.hooton at ucc.ie>

g.hooton at ucc.ie

> wrote:

Hi all,

I have a computer with CentOS 7.

The users are authenticated using OpenLDAP.

On LDAP the default shell is csh.

When  ssh to login it works, i.e. $SHELL = /bin/csh

Also, when using xrdp it works.

However, a login from the  keyboard and screen attached computer we get $SHELL = /bin/bash

So my first thing I would try to do would be to see if `getent passwd

<username>` showed different configs when a person logged in different

ways. Aka

```

$ ssh foobaz

$ getent passwd ssmoogen

ssmoogen:x:14353:14353:Stephen Smoogen:/home/ssmoogen:/bin/csh

$ exit

login: ssmoogen

passwd:

$ getent passwd

ssmoogen:x:14353:14353:Stephen Smoogen:/home/ssmoogen:/bin/bash

$ exit

```

In either case, I think from going down the rabbithole of bugs/etc

that something in your system is using attribute mapping to force a

shell but only for console logins. The general way this is done is

sticking

map passwd loginShell "/bin/bash"

map passwd shell "/bin/bash"

Beyond that I do not have any openldap systems to confirm how this

would be done.

Any help is welcome.

Regards,

Ger.

--

Gerard Hooton.

Senior Technical Officer

School of Engineering.

University College Cork.

College Road.

Cork.

Ireland.

<mailto:CentOS at centos.org>

CentOS at centos.org

Stephen J Smoogen.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Flame wars in

sci.astro.orion. I have seen SPAM filters overload because of Godwin's

Law. All those moments will be lost in time... like posts on  BBS...

time to reboot.

<mailto:CentOS at centos.org>

CentOS at centos.org

Gerard Hooton.