[CentOS] How to find out what's eating the bandwidth

Sun Mar 28 17:14:16 UTC 2021
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 10:53:49AM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> Is there a program that will tell me what's eating the bandwidth on a lan?
> I'm thinking of something that would tell me that a.b.c.d is using so many mbps and a.b.c.e is using this many and so on.

Is this a home network or a business one?

If a home setup (or small business with consumer-style networking),
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/services/network_monitoring/bwmon

> Or can just-another-computer-on-the-network actually see that sort of
> information? I don't know enough about the low level nuts and bolts of
> networking to know if it has that kind of access. I'm really just
> interested in volume of traffic per attached device rather than specific
> origin/destination information if that's easier to obtain.

You're right that you generally can't see everything from just any computer
on a network, at least if it's switched. You need to watch from your
gateway.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>