[CentOS] Recommendations for webmail client on EL8

Mon Mar 1 16:56:11 UTC 2021

On 3/1/21 10:41 AM, Christopher Wensink wrote:
> Jay,
>
> I agree, the last post on https://squirrelmail.org/ was an announcement
> for PHP 5.4 and 5.5 Compatibility  from 5/30/2013.
>
> The last plugin update was 3/28/2014.  I consider squirrelmail pretty
> much dead at this point.

No. it is not. It is not actively developed, no new featured are added
for quite some time. Squirrelmail can be downloded here:

https://squirrelmail.org/download.php

Where you can see year 2021 stable version snapshots. Latest you can
download works with PHP 7. As I said in another comment: they do not do
new development. But they actively support what it is now, and in my
estimate it will not be phased out in any observable future.

Yes I had to do this kind of homework when I was rebuilding [freebsd
jail with] webmail services.

Valeri

PS Not everything that paces fast with new "releases" and which releases
security patches even more often (yes, I look at you, Mozilla firefox
and thunderbird) is "pretty much dead". There are great examples, like:
netscape navigator (in its time), cvs (in its time and still here),
subversion, squirrelmail, mailman 2 to name few.