[CentOS] Tar of files

Wed Mar 3 15:02:27 UTC 2021

On 3/3/21 8:53 AM, Jerry Geis wrote:
> When I "tar" up an archive the files have an owner bob,
> when I extract that to another machine bob is there also but user number is
> different.

If you pack and extract as root, then numeric UID will be the same. But
on different systems there may be different usernames that have that
numeric UID.

Incidentally: sometimes we enable SGID bit on a directory (to have
everything that is created in it inherit the group that directory
belongs to). tar will be one of the tools that will break it: extracted
archive will have group as it was in the archived original (numeric GID
that is, if both archiving and un-archiving was performed by root).

I hope, this helps.

Valeri