[CentOS] R730xd & SD card identfication

Mon Mar 8 14:04:47 UTC 2021
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Sun, 7 Mar 2021 at 18:39, Pete Biggs <pete at biggs.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 2021-03-07 at 11:17 -0600, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> > Everyone,
> >
> > We have migrated a platform to a Centos 8 host using kvm guest machines
> >
> > Recently I tried to copy one of the guests to the external SD card on
> > the back of the Dell R730xd, but I have not been able to get the Centos
> > 8 host to recognize the SD card.
> >
> > I can use DRAC interface of the R730xd to see that the SD card is being
> > recognized and the status of the external SD slot is turned from
> > inactive to active when the card is inserted.
> >

> I have a nagging feeling at the back of my mind that that slot is
> associated with the iDrac system and not the main board.
>
> In any case doesn't that need a vFlash card not a standard SD/SDHC
> card? From Wikipedia:

I think the SD card on the back of the IDRAC7 systems on the Dell 730xd are
similar to this. They are accessible by the IDrac and dell software and are
primarily there for emergency install of the hardware from known good
media. I believe that vmware has a module which talks to the card so you
can install software in vm's from said known good media.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.