[CentOS] R730xd & SD card identfication

Mon Mar 8 21:32:59 UTC 2021
Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec at PoMec.Net>

> On Sun, 7 Mar 2021 at 18:39, Pete Biggs <pete at biggs.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2021-03-07 at 11:17 -0600, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> > > Everyone,
> > >
> > > We have migrated a platform to a Centos 8 host using kvm guest
> > > machines
> > >
> > > Recently I tried to copy one of the guests to the external SD
> > > card
> > > on
> > > the back of the Dell R730xd, but I have not been able to get the
> > > Centos
> > > 8 host to recognize the SD card.
> > >
> > > I can use DRAC interface of the R730xd to see that the SD card is
> > > being
> > > recognized and the status of the external SD slot is turned from
> > > inactive to active when the card is inserted.
> > >

> > I have a nagging feeling at the back of my mind that that slot is
> > associated with the iDrac system and not the main board.
> >
> > In any case doesn't that need a vFlash card not a standard SD/SDHC
> > card? From Wikipedia:
> >

> I think the SD card on the back of the IDRAC7 systems on the Dell
> 730xd
> are
> similar to this. They are accessible by the IDrac and dell software
> and
> are
> primarily there for emergency install of the hardware from known good
> media. I believe that vmware has a module which talks to the card so
> you
> can install software in vm's from said known good media.

> ----
>
> Simeon,
>
> You have anticipated what I am trying to do.  I have been using
> Centos
> 8 as a host on a 730xd machine, for some Centos 7 guests. With the
> end
> of life of Centos 8 only 9 months away I decided to try to migrate
> everything to vmware.  I purchased a sister 730xd to use as a lab
> computer, and am working on the skill sets necessary  to migrate
> everything to vmware. I have really grown to like kvm and am still
> disappointed RedHat/IBM is backing away from Centos.
>
> I certainly have not been able to get Centos 8 to recognize the SD
> card, and have also not been able to get vmware on the sister machine
> to recognize either the SD card in the back slot or even when I have
> it
> plugged into a usb converter.  The vmware problem is more likely
> related to my lack of experience with vmware; this is my first time
> use it.
>
> Thank you for your help!!!!!
>
> Greg

Hi Greg,

If your only problem with CentOS 8 is the support end, why not just
switch
the system to Oracle Linux 8 or another clone or even Red Hat EL with
one
of the new licenses, if they fit your needs?

Moving the whole setup to VMware seems a bit overkill to me as you
likely
have to learn a completely new system and deal with new problems.

Simon

Simon,

Thanks for your advice.  I have not moved anything yet, but am in the
early stages of trying to figure out what to do.  I have wanted to try
my hand at VMware, but never had a reason to do so.  I have not looked
at Oracle 8, but will put this on my list of things to evaluate.

Thanks again for your help!!!!!

Greg