[CentOS] CentOS-7-x86_64-dvd-2009.iso is too big for DVD blanks

Thu Mar 18 15:03:30 UTC 2021
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 3/14/21 8:13 PM, Robert G. (Doc) Savage via CentOS wrote:
> I need help from someone experienced with the CentOS bug tracking
> system. I gotta say it is one of the most complicated and imposing
> front ends I've ever seen. Could anyone familiar with it please file a
> bug on my behalf? Particulars:
>
> "CentOS 7.9.2009 DVD iso image too large"
>
> ISO image: CentOS-7-x86_64-DVD-2009.iso 4.7GB raw CD image
> Wed Nov  4 05:37:25 2020
> Burners: Both K3B and Brasero
> Media: Both DVD-R and DVD+R single-layer disks
>
> iso image: 4,712,300,544 bytes
> User Anthony F McInerney advises Wikipedia says
> DVD-R capacity: 4,707,319,808 bytes (max)
>
> I have tried burning this same iso image on two different machines: a
> CentOS 7.9 server and a Fedora 33 laptop. Same failure on both.
>
> We need to ask the developers to make a re-spin that's about 5MB
> smaller. And before someone suggests it, the 2010-vintage server I'm
> trying to install CentOS on does not support booting from a thumb
> drive, so that option is not available.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Doc Savage
>     Fairview Heights, IL

Guys ..

In order to do a full install set, we need a certain set of packages.

This set of packages is pretty much set in stone (you need all the deps
to do every install in the comps set).  I can not really adjust this
package set unless we take some items off the installer.

This means that the DVD is indeed too big for some media.

If you are having issues and you HAVE to use a DVD and can not use a usb
key .. please use the minimal ISO or the NetInstall ISO instead.