[CentOS] How to find out what's eating the bandwidth

Mon Mar 29 19:59:18 UTC 2021
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 11:36:00AM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> It's a really basic setup "routers from Staples" (dlink and tplink brands I think) plugged into the ISP's modems.
> > You're right that you generally can't see everything from just any computer
> > on a network, at least if it's switched. You need to watch from your
> > gateway.
>
> Then I'm outta luck for doing this sort of thing since the gateways are
> the tplink and dlink routers. I thought that might be the case.

There are two options you could explore:

* putting openwrt or another open-source firmware on those devices, if they
  support them.

* Use a CentOS (since that's the list!) box with two NICs as a bridge and
  configure that for snooping.

Or I guess option 3 would be to replace the routers with ones which do allow
you use an open firmware. You could even do that temporarily just for the
experiment.

And finally, an option four: some router brands have their own proprietary
bandwidth monitor tools. Asus, for example. (Note that you probably can't
get full gigabit speeds with this enabled on an off-the-shelf consumer
router, though.)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>