[CentOS] non-functioning printer

Sat May 15 13:27:17 UTC 2021

> On May 15, 2021, at 5:22 AM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

>> With the Deskjet D1420 disconnected, hp-probe
>> finds no USB printers (duh).
>> With the Deskjet D1420 connected, hp-probe
>> finds it.
>> hp-testpage produces
>> error:  Unable to communicate with printer Deskjet-D1400-series.  Please check
>> the printer and try again.
>>
>> Note that hp-probe found it.
>>
>> hp-testpage also produces a popup saying ...
>> There is a problem with a print cartridge (1017)
>
> HP printers are bitchy about using non-HP branded ink carts (or tonor carts).
> HP is very interested in extracting their "pound of flesh" for all eternity.

They are not the worst I’ve seen. We have a bunch of HP laser printers, and though used HP supplies originally, do use “aftermarket” ones for multiple years.

Who are really bad are Xerox. Even though I agree that they “taught the world how to copy”, at some point I dropped them, and wherever my word counts I recommend against Xerox. At some point they started making slight modifications to printer models thus making pretty much the same printers only with toners incompatible between models. Thus, each “model” was produced in smaller number, making aftermarket toner manufacturing unprofitable. That was only half of trouble, we were buying Xerox supplies anyway. But at some point they stopped making toners for printers as young as 6 years old if memory serves me. So, we had to throw away good working Xerox printers merely 6 years old, as you can not get toners for them. They, BTW, didn’t fix vulnerability in these older printers as well.

Since that event my decision is: NO XEROX ANYTHING!

For comparison: we had; still have HP 4050 that was getting a lot of use and beating it is 19 years old now, still works, you still can buy HP toner for that.

So, I really would place HP (printers department) into really good guys. (Not HP / compaq laptop department, though I didn’t check their laptops recently)

Just my $0.02.

Valeri