[CentOS] Ruby on Cent OS 8

Mon Nov 15 15:03:32 UTC 2021
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

> On Mon, 15 Nov 2021 at 09:18, Nikolaos Milas <nmilas at noa.gr> wrote:
>>
>> Another option is to migrate to an RHEL 8 -compatible OS, like Rocky
>> Linux, AlmaLinux, Oracle Linux, Springdale Linux.
>>
>> (I remind that CentOS Stream is no more a RHEL 8 twin.)
>>
>> I have already migrated successfully all my CentOS 8 boxes to Rocky. (I
>> am informed that in Academic Institutions in Greece -at least-, SysAdmin
>> teams have also selected Rocky to migrate from CentOS 8.)
>>
>> Rocky seems to be gaining momentum as the main CentOS 8 successor.
>>

> Going off of EPEL8 client use meters, it is still a fair tie between
> Rocky usage and Alma usage.
>
> Date | OS Name | Number of systems longer than 2 weeks old (so
> probably not CI/Containers)
> 2021-11-01 | Red Hat Enterprise Linux | 119625
> 2021-11-01 | CentOS Linux | 461424
> 2021-11-01 | CentOS Stream | 56902
> 2021-11-01 | Oracle Linux | 20683
> 2021-11-01 | AlmaLinux | 25880
> 2021-11-01 | Rocky | 28167

These figures are interesting but they can not be compared directly.
Oracle has its own EPEL repo and therefore I guess that the number here
shows only those who are using the official EPEL instead of the one
provided by Oracle. That said, I expect that the true number of Oracle
Linux installations is quite a bit higher than what we see here.

Even more interesting and worrying is the still growing number of CentOS
Linux 8 installations ;)

Regards,
Simon