[CentOS] Gnome unlocks all desktop sessions

Tue Nov 9 21:12:20 UTC 2021
Pete Huckelba <redhat at stata.com>

All,

I am trying to figure out the logic of why Gnome is unlocking all of my
desktop sessions.  In my office I am logged into a CentOS 7 Gnome
desktop, X :0.  I then lock the screen and go home.  Once home, I log
into my work computer and start a new vncserver on :1.  If I lock and
then unlock :1, ALL desktop sessions are unlocked, including :0.

This can be observed with a laptop and watching :0 unlock when unlocking
VNC session :1, or by launching multiple VNC servers.  In one test I
created vnc sessions on :1, :2, :3, :4, I connected to each and locked
each desktop.  I then unlocked one session and noticed all sessions
unlocked at the same time.  While the unlocking of VNC :1-:4 is quirky,
at least it is still protected by the authentication provided by VNC;
the unlocking of :0 is the trouble.

Can anyone provide clarity or a work around to this?

-Pete

tigervnc-server.x86_64 1.8.0-22.el7