[CentOS] CentOS8 Docker: "repomd.xml parser error: Parse error at line" after enabling /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Linux-ContinuousRelease.repo

Tue Nov 23 14:56:20 UTC 2021
John Pfuntner -X (jpfuntne - EASI LLC at Cisco) <jpfuntne at cisco.com>

I'm having trouble with dnf repos in a centos:8 Docker container after I enable the continuous release repo:

  1.  docker pull centos:8
  2.  docker run -it centos:8 bash -i
  3.  From Docker container:
     *   dnf install -y 'dnf-command(config-manager)' && dnf config-manager --enable cr
     *   dnf update

The update results in:

Failed to set locale, defaulting to C.UTF-8
CentOS Linux 8 - ContinuousRelease                                                                                                                                                                            43 kB/s | 8.3 kB     00:00
Error: Failed to download metadata for repo 'cr': repomd.xml parser error: Parse error at line: 66 (Opening and ending tag mismatch: meta line 0 and head
)

/etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Linux-ContinuousRelease.repo contains:

mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=cr&infra=$infra
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/$contentdir/$releasever/cr/$basearch/os/

If I switch these around by commenting out mirrorlist and uncommenting baseurl, it works.

Is this a problem with a repo mirror?