[CentOS] SOLVED: Mate desktop crashes at startup after update to Centos 8.5.2111

Thu Nov 18 19:12:15 UTC 2021
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>

On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 10:27:32 -0700
Greg Bailey wrote:

> > >From the GDM login screen I enter my password and select Mate.  The screen
> > >goes blank and appears to be loading the Mate desktop as usual, but just
> > >at the point where the desktop should appear it returns to the GDM login
> > >menu.
> >

> The only difference in my case is that I use lightdm from the
> stenstorp/lightdm copr repo instead of GDM.

Installing lightdm from the stenscorp/lightdm was indeed the fix.

Now my desktop is back to looking and working like it's supposed to be.

For the next guy who needs to do this, here are the exact commands needed:

dnf copr enable stenstorp/lightdm
dnf install lightdm
systemctl disable gdm.service
systemctl enable lightdm.service

Then reboot.  You'll probably have to select Mate from the drop-down list at the top right of the login screen but you only have to make that selection once.

Thank you ever so much for the help, Greg!