[CentOS] Mate desktop crashes at startup after update to Centos 8.5.2111

Fri Nov 19 17:30:57 UTC 2021
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>

On Fri, 19 Nov 2021 12:00:41 +0000
Steve Wardle via CentOS wrote:

> We had the same issue with some systems after the Almalinux 8.4 > 8.5 update.
>
> Solved by switching to Gnome then back to MATE.

I've done a bit of experimenting with a few other computers and found that if I switch to lightdm first, then upgrade to Centos 8.5 everything works just fine and as expected.  If I upgrade to 8.5 first and reboot while still using gdm I can't log back in with Mate and though I can still log in with Gnome.

I think the easiest course of action here is to install and activate lightdm first, then do the upgrade to 8.5.  Everything just works.