[CentOS] sshd gives false "Too many authentication failures"

Sun Nov 21 19:07:20 UTC 2021
Andreas Fournier <andreas.fournier at runbox.com>

On Sat, 2021-11-20 at 11:46 +0100, Andreas Fournier wrote:
> On Sat, 2021-11-20 at 15:33 +0530, Thomas Stephen Lee wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 2:32 PM Andreas Fournier
> > <andreas.fournier at runbox.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I just came across something strange with my fully updated
> > > Centos7
> > > server. When I try to ssh into it the same way I've always done I
> > > get
> > > "Too many authentication failures". This just came out of the
> > > blue.
> > > I'm
> > > using the root account and a password. But in my sshd_config it
> > > still
> > > reads
> > > #MaxAuthTries 6
> > > Which I think is the default.
> > >
> > > From the console I can log in fine and when I look in the logs
> > > for
> > > sshd
> > > I can just see the the attempts I just made, that are less than
> > > six
> > > and
> > > no previous denied attemps.
> > >
> > > Any clues what's going on?
> > >

> > I got the same error once.
> > In my case the problem was ssh tried to log in with ssh keys before
> > giving a password prompt.
>
> Thanks, same for me. I had added a new key for a different server to
> the ssh client machine that got it over the limit.

This got me wondering what is the best practice for a situation where
you have a machine with more than five keys on file in able to ssh to
different servers. But you would also like to ssh with password to an
other set of servers.

/Andreas