[CentOS] Infiniband

Sat Oct 9 14:21:03 UTC 2021
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Fri, 8 Oct 2021 at 23:15, Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/8/21 10:51, Mark Woolfson wrote:
> > I have a large server cluster running CentOS 6.4 and CentOS 6.6 using 10GbE.
> > I want to upgrade to Infiniband.
>

> CentOS 6 hasn't received any feature updates since May 2017, so any
> compatible hardware would have had to be released and supported before
> that date (possibly substantially before then).
>
> CentOS 6 has been EOL for almost a year, and isn't receiving any
> security updates.  You *really* should upgrade.

The versions of CentOS 6 this cluster is running are from 2013 and
2014 so they are looking at 10 year old infiniband. Going from that, I
think the best they can hope for is a Mellanox ConnectX-3 which seems
to have some caveats https://access.redhat.com/solutions/302543. The
ConnectX-4 came out in late 2014 early 2015 so i don't know if its
drivers ever were set to EL-6

I agree with Gordon that you need to plan on upgrading more than just
the backbone network since you are probably looking at significant
downtime to do that AND are in a high risk for security problems.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Flame wars in