[CentOS] Troubles expanding file system.

Thu Sep 2 21:21:39 UTC 2021
Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com>

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 7:16 PM Jeff Boyce <jboyce at meridianenv.com> wrote:

> > 6.  I suspect that I need to rescan the devices on Sequoia so that it
> > recognizes the increased space that has been allocated from the extended
> > the logical volume.  But when I did that (command below) it came back
> > with a no such file or directory.
> >
> > echo 1 > /sys/class/block/vde1/device/rescan
> >
> Not sure that would do anything.

What are the CentOS versions of your host and guest?
As far as I know, virtio disks have never supported rescan from inside the
guest and so there isn't the corresponding "rescan" special file.
I found this old, but interesting thread:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/extend-rescan-virtio-disk-in-guest-vm.7989/

Can you confirm your host libvirt version and your guest kernel are ok with
what is referred?
In case you could try with the qemu monitor command.

See also here for a reference of possible qemu monitor commands:
https://qemu-project.gitlab.io/qemu/interop/qemu-qmp-ref.html

And here for consideration regarding RH EL 6 host:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/6/html/virtualization_administration_guide/sub-sect-domain_commands-using_blockresize_to_change_the_size_of_a_domain_path

Also here you find reference of command to issue, but somehow the syntax
changes depending on components' versions:
https://www.humblec.com/is-it-possible-to-do-online-resizing-of-guest-block-devices-or-without-shutdown/

HIH,
Gianluca