[CentOS] Troubles expanding file system.

Fri Sep 3 07:54:07 UTC 2021
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

> On 9/2/2021 10:28 PM, Simon Matter wrote:
>> There is one thing that I couldn't find a solution for no matter what I
>> tried: When the root/boot disk of the guest is being resized, it's not
>> possible to modify and reread the new partition table without reboot.
>
> I'm curious to know if this works for you.  Suppose /dev/sda is the boot
> disk.  Determine the highest number primary partition in use on the
> drive.  Let's say it's 3.
>
> # growpart /dev/sda 3
>
> In addition, you might try
>
> # printf "F\n" | parted ---pretend-input-tty -l
>
> I have these in an Ansible playbook for creating CentOS 7 and Ubuntu
> Focal VMs.  They require cloud-int (for growpart) and gdisk.  Note:
> growpart doesn't work if the highest partition is not a primary
> partition, i.e., greater than 4.

I think the problem in my case was that EL6 didn't support this. From
growpart man page:

  "this requires kernel support and 'partx --update'"

Maybe it works for newer systems but didn't work when I last had to do it
on EL6.

Simon