[CentOS] how to display/create DUID?

Sun Sep 19 06:13:56 UTC 2021
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

--On Sunday, September 19, 2021 2:10 AM +0200 hw <hw at gc-24.de> wrote:

> I would like to assign an ipv6 address through the DHCPv6 server of
> pfsense.  To configure a static address, I need to tell the DHCPv6 server
> a DUID.
>
> Apparently DUIDs belong to a particular machine and aren't supposed to
> ever change unless you re-install the operating system.  I guess every
> network card would need it's DUID because devices can have multiple
> network adapters, though ... and what happens when you change out the
> card?
>
> IIUC, the DUID is required to ask for/get ipv6 addresses from a DHCPv6
> server.  So there must be a way to create one, and perhaps it has already
> been created.  Does networkmanager do that?
>
> So how/where do find I this DUID on my server?

Good question. I'm trying to do the same for my OpenWRT router to force my
ISP to give me a new allocation. (It's stuck on a /64 and a Reddit thread
suggests that changing the DUID will "kick" the DHCPv6 server into honoring
my /60 request.) The DUID does the same for IPv6 that the MAC address does
for IPv4. It's the key for the lease in the DHCP database.

I'm reading that DUIDs can get recomputed when containers are started, and
this causes headaches for VM operators who are seeing "new" assignments
appear extremely frequently.