[CentOS] Upgrading CentOS from 7 to 8

Wed Sep 29 13:56:05 UTC 2021

On 9/29/21 8:29 AM, J Martin Rushton via CentOS wrote:
> It's not supported.  RH has a method that sometimes works for RHEL, but
> there is no safe CentOS way to do a major upgrade.  You need to
> reinstall the OS and migrate your applications.

+1 The system "binary clone" of which CentOS is (or was rather) is not
designed to be "upgraded". The routine way is: install new release, copy
all accounts, and data from old system to it, install services,
configure them to a degree possible close to what was on old system.

This horse have been beaten to death. The problem someone asking this is
a consequence it people not doing search first (I for one use
duckduckgo), and reading all search reveals with open eyes, not picking
something to one's liking. Like: I want to do an upgrade. No matter all
search shows is: "install new release,...". I did find one post about
upgrade. But why it doesn't work?! Just read any of other posts about
upgrade, saying to the effect: it doesn't, shouldn't work, and going
into various lengts of explaining why.

I know what I said doesn't make pleasant reading, but it hopefully will
help someone with "modus operandi".

Valeri