[CentOS] Unable to relay mail through gmail anymore

Fri Aug 5 15:14:12 UTC 2022
Richard <lists-centos at listmail.innovate.net>

> Date: Friday, August 05, 2022 10:39:04 -0400
> From: Frank Bures <buresf at gmail.com>
>
> I have my CentOS7 sendmail configured to relay outgoing system
> e-mail through my gmail account.
>
> The setup recently stopped working. Gmail SMTP keeps returning
> "service unavailable".
>
> I think it has something to do with the recent changes in Gmail
> authentication procedures.
>
> Does anyone know how to make the relaying work again?  I could not
> find anything on the Net.

I'm assuming you are pushing the mail to gmail through port 465 or
587. If that's the case, if you aren't already, you will need to set
up and use a google "app password". Alternatively, get whatever you
are using on the centos side that authenticates with gmail to support
OAuth 2.

You can no longer use your google side-wide password to authenticate
3rd party apps with gmail so need to use one of the alternatives in
its place.

I would actually expect you to get an authentication failure message
so they may have changed something else that disabled this approach.