[CentOS] OT:: Multiple PHP versions

Mon Aug 15 19:30:00 UTC 2022
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

--On Monday, August 15, 2022 1:03 PM -0400 H <agents at meddatainc.com> wrote:

> While I would prefer to install php 7.4 from SCL, both IUS and Remi's
> repositories do carry it. Do you see a reason to choose one over the
> other bearing in mind I need to have multiple versions installed used by
> different web apps?

I'm a minor PHP user and 7.3 has been adequate for running WordPress. So I
haven't felt pressured to investigate the IUS and Remi offerings.

I'd suggest downloading both and querying the packages to compare. Use "rpm
-qplv" to list the files included, and "rpm -qp --scripts" to see what
other modifications they'll make to your system. I always do that on
"alien" packages to make sure they won't do anything unexpected to my
system. (I so wish Windows packaging was this simple!)