[CentOS] stream 8 or stream 9 for new server

Sun Feb 13 19:03:19 UTC 2022
Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org>

On 13/02/2022 18:44, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 2/13/22 10:36, Joshua Kramer wrote:
>> I wouldn't go with CentOS for something like that- all of my stuff is on
>> Rocky 8.
>

> Using Rocky or Alma isn't going to result in a broader set of packages
> available on EPEL.  Can I politely suggest that such suggestions don't
> actually address the question that was asked, and aren't helpful?

Agreed, but the question that was asked is misplaced so re-framing the
question is perhaps helpful to the OP.

Also note Stream 8 now has little over 2 years of lifespan remaining
(until May 2024), giving Stream 8 a *shorter* lifespan that the CentOS 7
it will be replacing (June 30, 2024) - another reason why it may not be
the best choice for a new server right now.