[CentOS] ansible upgrade

Wed Feb 23 12:47:43 UTC 2022
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

On 22/02/2022 22:37, Leon Fauster via CentOS wrote:
> Am 21.02.22 um 16:24 schrieb Fabian Arrotin:
>> On 21/02/2022 15:49, Leon Fauster via CentOS wrote:
>>> Hey all, back from vacation and seeing ansible 2.12 in the repos now.
>>> Anything to be aware of when upgrading from 2.9 to 2.12 in CS8?
>>>

>> You'd be lucky if it works directly , as there were some semantic
>> changes in ansible, so you'll probably have to review all the changes,
>> and if ansible-core just has the modules (it's a stripped down version
>> of ansible, as you're supposed to download the collections yourself) ,
>> and use FQCN (Fully Qualified Collection Names) for  modules ...
>>
>> FWIW, CentOS Infra still on ansible 2.9.27 from our own configuration
>> management SIG and ansible-core excluded in yum/dnf to ensure that our
>> automation still runs fine (until we have time to test/convert all our
>> roles/tasks/playbooks to run on ansible 5 - aka ansible-core 2.12.x)
>>

> Thanks Fabian for the insights. I was planning such tests for May but
> that seems to be to late now.
>
> I remember that someone wanted to provide a meta package that pull
> additional ansible collections to give a similar experience like 2.9?
> Maybe more an EPEL question ...
>
> --
> Leon

There is indeed a an effort to have an ansible meta-package that would
pull both ansible-core and would contain collections (see
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Ansible5)

I already had a look myself to see how to rebuild/provide it through
configmanagement SIG eventually, as we now have ansible-core availble
Some packages for ansible 5.x are already built on
koji.fedoraproject.org (see
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=13842) but not
yet available for epel8, due to lack of ansible-core in RHEL 8 (for now,
but coming as it's in 8-stream, so in advance)

Other introduced problem with ansible-core is the dep  on python 3.8,
meaning that while we had ara (Ansible Records Ansible dashboard)
available in configmanagement SIG, it needs to be using same python
interpreter version for the callback, and previous one was built
against/for python 3.6 (like ansible 2.9.x) , so quite some changes ...

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 17F3B7A1 | twitter: @arrfab