[CentOS] printing on C8S

Sat Jan 8 00:26:23 UTC 2022
Fred <fred.fredex at gmail.com>

OK, I've done those commands, and the system thinks it has a printer
configured. I had assumed that the everywhere driver meant we'd be using
"ipp everywhere", which I had assumed meant I would NOT need to install
Brother drivers. but send a print job causes no paper to come out of the
printer, and I see this in lpstat -t output:

$ lpstat -t
scheduler is running
no system default destination
device for DCP7065DN: ///dev/null
DCP7065DN accepting requests since Fri 07 Jan 2022 10:46:21 AM EST
printer DCP7065DN is idle.  enabled since Fri 07 Jan 2022 10:46:21 AM EST
File "/usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperDCP7065DN" not available: No such
file or directory
DCP7065DN-6             fredex          867328   Fri 07 Jan 2022 10:46:21
AM EST

which makes me guess I still need the Brother drivers. I can certainly go
get them and install them (not as if I hadn't done it before on multiple
systems), but I was hoping that "ipp everywhere" would work.

[later] I managed to get a working printer by using the Gnome printer
configuration tool. but it wasn't fun. I had to install the Brother drivers
because 'everywhere' doesn't seem to work with my Brother printer (possibly
Brother's fault, I dunno). the gnome printer setup tool is anything but
intuitive--despite what the help system says I can't find any way to define
the default printer, there's just no option there where help says it should
be. when I enter the URI of the printer (ipp://192.168.2.97/ipp) it lists
three choices of printers, as far as I can tell, only one of them actually
prints anything. but then I shouldn't be surprised at the ugly tool, it
fits right in with the rest of the Gnome desktop.

Unfortunately, the MATE for Centos-8 seems to be a one-off by a 3rd party,
so I can't complain to the Mate community about its lack of a printer
config tool (or other tools that don't work).

In fact, system-config-printer does seem to exist, but (1) it isn't found
in any menu I can find, anywhere, but on disk, if one searches with some
diligence, and (2) when I attempt to invoke it "python36 gui.py" it just
errors out on me. since I don't know any more about python than it takes to
type that command, I don't know how to fix it. I'm guessing it has never
been ported to Python 3.x.

I'd like to stay with CentOS or other RH-derived distro, but not if I'm
forced to use Gnome desktop.

Thanks for all the various replies you all sent me!

Fred