[CentOS] printing on C8S

Fri Jan 7 08:13:41 UTC 2022
Barry Brimer <lists at brimer.org>

On Thu, 6 Jan 2022, Fred wrote:

> OK, I give up. How do I configure a printer on Centos 8 Stream? I can't
> find any tools for doing that.
>
> further, there doesn't seem to be a cups executable (which should allow
> setting up a printer) though there ARE a bunch of cups packages installed.

According to <https://www.cups.org/doc/admin.html>

The everywhere driver is used for nearly all modern networks printers sold
since about 2009. For example, the following command creates a destination
for a printer at IP address 11.22.33.44:

lpadmin -p printername -E -v ipp://11.22.33.44/ipp/print -m everywhere

On a Fedora 35 machine, which should probably be pretty close to C8S, the
lpadmin executable is provided by the standard cups rpm

$ rpm -qf $(which lpadmin)
cups-2.3.3op2-11.fc35.x86_64

Hope this helps,
Barry