[CentOS] 389-ds packages less up-to-date on CentOS Stream 8 than RHEL8

Thu Jan 13 17:40:21 UTC 2022
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 1/10/22 00:36, Mathieu Baudier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as described here [1] we were having issues with LDAP dirsrv 389-ds in our
> environment where we use a mix on CentOS Stream 8 and RHEL 8 deployments. I
> have been surprised to notice that RHEL packages actually seems to be more
> up-to-date than CentOS Stream ones, while we are working for our QA
> processes under the assumption that CentOS Stream is upstream of RHEL.
>
> Looking at the package versions:
>
> ## RHEL 8
> $ sudo dnf info 389-ds-base
> Name         : 389-ds-base
> Version      : 1.4.3.23
> Release      : 12.module+el8.5.0+13329+4096c77a
>
> $ sudo rpm -q --changelog 389-ds-base
> * Thu Nov 18 2021 Mark Reynolds <mreynolds at redhat.com> - 1.4.3.23-12
>
> ## CentOS Stream 8
> $ sudo dnf info 389-ds-base
> Name         : 389-ds-base
> Version      : 1.4.3.23
> Release      : 10.module_el8.5.0+946+51aba098
>
> $ rpm -q --changelog 389-ds-base
> * Thu Aug 26 2021 Mark Reynolds <mreynolds at redhat.com> - 1.4.3.23-10
>
> My understanding from discussion on this mailing-list a few months ago, is
> that sometimes critical issues will be patched in RHEL before CentOS
> Stream, which is understandable.
> But is it to be expected that there can be a  lag of many months before
> CentOS Stream "catches up"?
> Is it recommended to use CentOS Stream for development and testing of the
> upcoming RHEL updates?
>
> Just to be clear, as a (tiny) Red Hat Partner, we have access to enough
> RHEL NFR entitlements for such purposes, so the point here is not to get
> something "for free", but to "see things coming" by developing and testing
> primarily on CentOS Stream. (Which, by the way is working great, except for
> these recurring 389-ds and IPA issues; I have also been using it as my
> workstation for months without a glitch)
>
> Thanks in advance for (constructive) comments, and for sharing your own
> experience!
> Cheers,
>
> Mathieu

For whatever the reason, git.centos.org has
389-ds-base-1.4.3.23-10.module+el8.5.0+12398+47000435 (in the
c8s-stream-1.4) as the latest push .. while in c8-stream-1.4 it is
389-ds-base-1.4.3.23-12.module+el8.5.0+13329+4096c77a.

so I have released what is pushed to git currently.

No idea why the other is not released to c8s, I will ask.