[CentOS] Kernel live patching on CentOS Stream 9

Thu Jan 13 18:01:21 UTC 2022
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

On 1/13/22 09:32, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> In layman's language summary: RedHat Enterprise features (including
> "live" kernel patching) are to be expected _only_ in RedHat Enterprise
> "binary replica" distributions, which CentOS Stream is not.

I don't think that's true, exactly.  As far as I know, rebuild
distributions never had the "Enterprise" features*.  Critically, I think
that a lot of people mistakenly believed that CentOS *did* have
Enterprise features, because it was rebuilt from RHEL code, and that
misunderstanding underlies a great deal of the negative response toward
CentOS Stream.

*: "Enterprise" features include but are not limited to:

 1. Minor releases with independent life cycles / Extended Update Support
 2. Classification for updates (security, bugfix, enhancement)
 3. Live patching for kernel security vulnerabilities
 4. Support