[CentOS] Kernel live patching on CentOS Stream 9

Thu Jan 13 20:14:02 UTC 2022
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

--On Thursday, January 13, 2022 2:10 PM -0500 Valeri Galtsev
<galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> We never had it in CentOS in the past, but I'm just curious: is live
> patching proprietary piece of RHEL? I know there are several solutions,
> way back there was paid one called splice, my Boss's son was one of the
> developers of that. Just curious, as, if it is paid, it is stripped off
> as part of CentOS composition, but if it is not paid, open source, then
> it would "just work", or not?

Indeed, we're talking the software versus the organization. I never
expected CentOS the organization to provide anything more than repackaging
(rebuilding and mirroring).

For kernel patching, there's the matter of rebuilding and distributing the
patches, and then whether the software can do anything with that. If it's
proprietary, the issue is moot.

But maybe it's like the update classification and differentiation, which
was never implemented for CentOS, because of the extra effort the
organization would have to provide.