[CentOS] Kernel live patching on CentOS Stream 9

Fri Jan 14 13:57:03 UTC 2022
Gionatan Danti <g.danti at assyoma.it>

Il 2022-01-14 13:17 Josh Boyer ha scritto:
> RHEL's kernel live patching uses upstream open source kpatch.  The
> sources to the kpatches are delivered in customer facing CDN repos at
> the same time as the kpatch itself.  We do not use proprietary code to
> produce or apply the kpatches.
>
> I can only speculate on whether RHEL kpatches would work on a CentOS
> kernel, but my assumption is that they would not due to how they are
> signed.

Is (well, was) the CentOS kernel identical at binary level to the RHEL
one?
If so, the same kpatch should be applicable to both RHEL and CentOS (the
old one).

But I seem to understand that the two kernels are *not* bytewise
identical, so a binary kpatch can not be applied the CentOS. Is this
true?

Anyway, RH kpatches are surely not compatible with CentOS stream. So I
asked if some project was started to provide live kernel patching to the
new CentOS project. If I don't miss something, this is not the case.

Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico