[CentOS] open source network diagnostic tools

Sat Jun 11 10:14:00 UTC 2022
lejeczek <peljasz at yahoo.co.uk>

On 08/06/2022 20:19, Christopher Wensink wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> From time to time on our network we experience a pause
> where it seems like everything just hesitates for a time,
> this could be 2-10 seconds, then communications resume and
> everything is normal again.
>
> I suspect that there one machine that is occasionally
> sending out bad packets or is flooding the network when it
> shouldn't, but I don't know for sure.  I've tried scanning
> with angry ip scanner to confirm IP addresses are set and
> communicating as documented. I've tried running captures
> with wireshark to try to identify one culprit but nothing
> is sticking out.
>
> I've tried tcpdump to see if something obvious is placed
> there, but it's a flood of information and it's difficult
> to tell what (if anything) is a problem and what is not.
>
> I'm also working on setting up icinga for monitoring all
> servers to see if that provides insight.
>
> What other tools / tactics would you use to identify the
> core cause of these kinds of intermittent pauses?
>
> Chris

Though I can not recommend any specific tools, a learning
curve should be easy peasy, including tools/solution -
unless you already looked into it & have it covered - in old
days with Windowze NIC faulty drivers, OS own issues or
intentionally provoked network stack misbehavior would/could
put a device/NIC in the 'promiscuous' mode which would
results in network "acts" in ways you describe.

good luck, L.