[CentOS] Help with an HP Proliant gen10 plus?

Mon Jan 9 13:38:20 UTC 2023

On 1/9/23 01:37, Simon Matter wrote:
>> Just starting and trying to boot off the SPP firmware update ISO image
>> on a USB stick.
>>
>> I made the stick with:
>>
>> # mkfs.vfat /dev/sdb
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Why create an MS-DOS filesystem on the stick which gets immediately
> overwritten in the next step?

I think the idea is to get that first 4MB set up for booting, as the dd
skips that space.

>> # dd bs=4M
>> if=P52581_001_gen10spp-2022.09.01.00-SPP2022090100.2022_0930.1.iso
>> of=/dev/sdb status=progress
> Is this what HPE says how to create the stick? If yes then you may ask HPE
> how to get it to work.

HP gives no instructions.  At least I can't find it on the support
pages.  I do have a support account.

You should just 'know' how to build a bootable device from a 9GB iso image.

>> The usb drive is 16GB and the iso is 9GB.
>>
>> seem to boot from it and go into auto install of firmware then died with
>>
>> starting initrd...
>>
>> warning!!! Unable to mount the file system [cdrom]
>> warning!!! Unable to mount the file system
>>
>> Preboot maintence mode
>>
>> /bin/ash: can't access tty: job control turned off
>>
>> and at # prompt.
>>
>> There is no cdrom on the gen10 plus.  Only in internal bootable usb port.
> That's usually fine because the cdrom can be mounted as loop device. No
> need for a real cdrom.

Yeah.  Going to work on it some more today.  Plus got a finish a paper
for a symposium.  I give up on learning tex; I found a word template
that can create the right pdf, so pull out all my writing in tex and
start over.  And I DO use the IETF's xml format for creating Internet
Drafts, so I am teachable on this stuff despite my age...

I do vaguely recall working with tex for writing back around '78, but
that was it.