[Arm-dev] enough packages for a @core install ?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Jun 12 01:29:27 UTC 2015

On 06/10/2015 11:44 AM, Mandar Joshi wrote:
>> Do you mind sharing how you created the disk image and kernel .. did you
>  > write it to nand or sd card.
>
> I generated it using the RootFS Build Factory I am developing along with
> Ian for GSoC.
> The repositories used are the ones created by Fabian
> http://armv7.dev.centos.org/repodir/c7-buildroot/
> http://armv7.dev.centos.org/repodir/c7-pass-1/
> http://armv7.dev.centos.org/repodir/comps/
>
> The development code is on Github. You can try if it works for you. I
> have generated the images on Fedora 21 ARM running on the Cubietruck.
> I've tested generating images for Raspberry Pi 2 and Cubietruck. There
> is a provision in the RootFS Build Factory to extend support for boards
> using simple Bash scripts. But I'll not get into the details of that
> right now.
>
> The generated image has to be written to a microSD card using dd/dcfldd
> The README.md on github has everything to get you started.
>
> https://github.com/mndar/rbf

I used RBF to generate a CentOS-7 image for the cubietruck and it works.
 Mandar, this is going to be a great GSoC project .. I am impressed with
RBF so far !!!

I did the build using this Fedora 20 image from dl.cubieboard.org in the
nand:

http://dl.cubieboard.org/software/a20-cubietruck/fedora/ct-fedora20-lxde-v2/

File: fedora20-nand-lxde-vga.img.gz in the above link.

My generated image is 4 GB is size.  1GB for swap, 2 GB for root
partition, 500MB for /boot

The VGA connector works for console output.  none of the blinky lights
on the cubietruck work.

I have a Logitec wireless MK710 keyboard and M705 mouse that works via
USB, and both of these work on the cubietruck via a USB port.

Initially, one has to use the console to login ... root user, no
password.  You can not do this via SSH as a blank root password will not
be accepted via ssh.  Obviously, you need to change the root password
once you login.

Here is the uname -a:

[root at cubietruck ~]# uname -a
Linux cubietruck 4.0.0-1.el7.armv7hl #1 SMP Thu May 14 05:35:19 EDT 2015
armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

I have not yet tried to flash this image to nand, so no idea if it works
from there or how one would go about putting it there.

You can use Mandar's RBF program (above) to generate this for yourself
as well .. but you do need enough space on a non NFS partition
(fallocate, used to create the image, is not supported via NFS) for the
image.  In my case, I had to get a sata drive connected to the
cubietruck in order to create the image as I did not have 4 GB free.

Are there others on the list where this image would be useful?  Again,
it is for the cubietruck (cubieboard3) only. I will make it available
via this link:

http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/armv7hl/cubietruck/images/

File: cubietruck-centos-image.img.gz
sha256sum: 335cd781d329a54ddece5924e7b94a52f294c633523dfdf775ab162a0b1ab1af

unzipped sha256sum:
b9ba48e2df4a8729f7eb0ab916365cd4a98c0bb661df12d1d9bc7f6cf2b0f5bf

gunzip it to use.

NOTE:  None of the packages are signed and this is very much pre-alpha
.. right from the builder with absolutely no QA of any kind.

Instructions:

1.  I had to insert SD Card and zero out the first MB of the SDCard with
this command:

(my card was at /dev/mmcblk0 .. yours may be somewhere else for the of=)

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M count=1

2.  dd the image to the sdcard with this command:

dd if=./cubietruck-centos-image.img of=/dev/mmcblk0

(again, your of= may vary)

3.  Plug it into the cubietruck and boot :)

4.  Login via the console, can not initially SSH in as the root password
is blank.  You can use the UART cable
(http://www.cubietruck.com/products/usb-to-ttl-uart-serial-cable) or I
was able to use the VGA port and a usb keyboard.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes